Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Z Team

As I finished my post last night, I realized there is so much I want to talk about or a lot I want to tell.  There are two long posts just about the history behind why I am doing this, but I guess when there is 24 years of history even two long posts may not even do it justice.  Anywhoodle...

So, like I said, I was finally at a point in my life where I am ready for this...mentally, physically, financially.  In September of 2012, I went to Dr. Sink's office for my regular 6 month cleaning and check up.  (Have I mentioned how much I love Dr. Sink?  He's been my dentist practically all of my life, with the exception of the 4 years I lived in Atlanta.  Even though I live an hour away, I still drive to Clinton to see him.)  Every time I go for an appointment, he checks my bite and this time was no different.  For a while we didn't really talk about the surgery because after that last stint, everyone pretty much thought that ship had sailed and I wasn't going to do it.  But the thoughts of the surgery never really left my mind, so I brought it up.  Dr. Sink talked about the process:  Get braces (again), surgery, post surgery bands and healing, remove braces.  He also mentioned how far technology had come in the past eleven years and that if this was something I wanted to pursue, Dr. Timothy Turvey of UNC - Chapel Hill would probably be the one to do it.  However, I first needed to see an orthodontist to really kick start this process.

Choosing an orthodontist really wasn't that difficult of a decision for me.  It's not like this was my first rodeo.  I could try someone different or I go back to Dr. Henry's office (I've learned that Henry Zaytoun Sr. is THE Dr. Zaytoun.  Henry Zaytoun Jr. is Dr. Henry.  Don't get them confused.). 

Dr. Henry:

Dr. Zaytoun:



Dr. Henry was my orthodontist during my 2001-2003 stint with braces.  He knows my case, he knows my teeth, and he knows my apprehensions.  It really was a no brainer.  Plus, he is super nice.  All of his staff are super nice.  And oddly enough a lot of people I know go to that office (though most of them see Dr. Mary Paula, Dr. Henry's sister.  Wow...a family full of orthodontists.  Interesting, right?).



Even though I knew exactly who would be my orthodontist, I didn't make that call right away.  I deliberated more, and then something...clicked.  I called Dr. Henry's office immediately and set up an appointment for a consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment