Thursday, April 11, 2013

Surgical Wires...and other fun stuff

I had an orthodontist appointment yesterday (shout out to Dr. Henry!).  He took a look at my teeth and the alignment and said I am pretty much ready to go.  That being the case, they changed out my wires to surgical wires.  Surgical wires are basically just heavy duty, strong wires that will keep my teeth together when Dr. Turvey starts moving bones.  (Sounds awesome, no?)

With the surgical wires, I am ready and could have the surgery at any time now, but my day isn't until August 28th.  Dr. Henry suggested I get on Dr. Turvey's "call" list in case someone cancels.  While I am tempted to do that, I don't think I would be prepared for say a days notice that I would be having my jaw broken.  Even though August 28th is quite far away, I like having a set date -- it is really helping me prepare and get ready.  Right now, my biggest concern is work.  I know they'll live without me, but there are a fair amount of things I am responsible for that someone will have to take over for me while I am out. 

Anyway...while I was at Dr. Henry's I snapped a few photos of the photos they took of me pre-braces:

This is my collage!  The side profile shot is really telling, I think.  You can see how my bottom jaw is a little longer.  Below is a bigger version of the middle pictures of my teeth.  When I was with the technician, she actually said if you flip the pic upside down, it would look normal (when flipped upside down, this is how my bite should look if my bottom teeth were actually my top teeth, yada, yada, yada.)


Ok...below is the rotated version:

Bizarre, right?  I guess this could be, sort of like looking at the future of my teeth?

And finally -- an X-ray shot.  This is one that was taken in February I think:



Well, that's all I have for now.  Time to sit and wait for the big day!  I'm going to throw some fun stuff in here between now and then, but probably not a lot of posts about braces and surgery.  Disappointing, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment